Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

You Don't Have to Like Literature, but You Do Have to Respect It

I swear some of the so-called indie authors I know on social media say the most ignorant things. For instance, this self-published horror author on my Facebook list actually went on a not-so-well-thought-out rant yesterday about some article he'd read. The article was basically talking about how young people today don't know "how" to read and comprehend literature as well as past generations.

Indie Author basically blamed literature itself for that, implying that the books kids are asked to read in school are worthless. At one point, he even referred to Balzac as "Ballsack", as well as heavily implied that the dreck he writes is actually better than the literature that's taught in English classes. The word "horrified" doesn't even begin to cover my reaction to that. I've been in this weird bear poking mood lately, so I briefly thought about taking this dipshit to church before realizing that it would be a waste of my time and my breath. (Blog vents tend to relieve the pressure from this sort of thing much better anyway.)

Then Seth wound up arguing with this other dumb douche he follows about the work of Bret Easton Ellis. Dumb Douche was basically talking about how shallow he finds Ellis's work to be while Seth was just like "yeah, no". Seriously, this guy is so fucking dense, he doesn't even understand how to read the subtext in literature that leverages an unreliable narrator as a way to tell a story. He literally thought that because American Psycho's Patrick Bateman is a self-professed shallow person only interested in looks and money that that was actually what the book was about -- how important money and shallow, material things are. I can't. Neither could Seth.

See... here's the thing, independent dipshits. You don't have to agree with the underlying messages of American Psycho, or Catcher in the Rye, or anything Balzac ever wrote. You're not required to like them either. However, before you dare call yourself a literature buff or a professional writer (whether or not you're actually successful yet), you do need to reach a place where you can at least appreciate why those writings are considered to be the classics that they are. You absolutely need to develop a healthy respect for the greats and their work. In other words, you can't refer to Balzac as "Ballsack" and expect me to see you as anything less than ignorant and foolish.

I doubt it's a coincidence when people that think this way wind up peddling their garbage writing at cons they pay to get into and on Amazon for a buck a pop. What sane publisher would ever give a person that doesn't understand why Balzac is considered a great writer the time of day, let alone a book deal? I become more grateful by the day that I eventually decided to go another way with my writing. I don't want to be lumped in with these other idiots. If that makes me a snob, then fine. I'll accept that label with pride. It's a lot better than being an idiot.